We've moved to http://dcbabk.wordpress.com. You should be redirected in a few seconds. Thanks for visiting. Bankruptcy Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

NO STATE SOVEREIGN IMMUNITY IN ADVERSARY PROCEEDING TO DETERMINE DISCHARGEABILITY The Supreme Court has affirmed the Sixth Circuit (and the Bankruptcy Court) in Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation v. Hood. The issue was whether a Bankruptcy Court could overrule a state’s objection to jurisdiction based on sovereign immunity in an adversary complaint seeking discharge of a student loan. The Appellant had asserted that the Eleventh Amendment’s protection of state sovereign immunity prohibited the complaint without the assent of the state. The Supreme Court, by a 7 – 2 majority, said that the Bankruptcy Court had in rem jurisdiction to hear the adversary proceeding. Chief Justice Rehnquist, writing for the majority, stated the Eleventh Amendment does not bar federal jurisdiction over in rem admiralty actions when the State is not in possession of the property, citing California v. Deep SeaResearch, Inc., 523 U. S. 491 (1998). He also ruled that that “[t]he discharge of a debt by a bankruptcy court is similarly an in rem proceeding. Accordingly, the “[b]ankruptcy courts have exclusive jurisdiction over a debtor’s property, wherever located, and over the estate.” Further, the requirement that the debtor take action to initiate a hardship discharge was not, as the state asserted, a congressional authorization of a suit against a state, but effecting the discharge’s in rem jurisdiction. Chief Justice Rehnquist also found the statute did not prohibit a debtor from pursuing discharge relief by the filing of a motion (although the rules require it) which would also eliminate constitutional issues. The debtor was represented by Leonard Gerson, with 14-attorney Angel & Frankel in New York. TENNESSEE STUDENT ASSISTANCE CORPORATION v. HOOD (S.Ct. 2004).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your message on consolidation is great! I have a site on consolidate debt creditsoup.com
Your readers might find interesting. You can check it out at: http://www.apexconsolidation.com

10/10/2005 06:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site folks, been looking for this kind of information. I have a related repair your own credit site also. You may want to take a look some time. repair your own credit I'll definitely be back.

10/10/2005 01:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

business debt consolidation loan Get out of debt Now! Stop paying high interest rates! business debt consolidation loan

10/19/2005 04:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there M Heday... Look where I landed searching for info on file bankruptcy. But since Im here... I thought I'd just stop by and read... I found your post "this post" kinda interesting.
Do you always write that way?
I guess I'd better be on my way as I still need stuff on file bankruptcy for my project.
Thanks for a good read M Heday ...and keep doing all the great blogs. Cheers.

10/29/2005 03:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there M Heday... Look where I landed searching for info on chapter 11 bankruptcy. But since Im here... I thought I'd just stop by and read... I found your post "this post" kinda interesting.
Do you always write that way?
I guess I'd better be on my way as I still need stuff on chapter 11 bankruptcy for my project.
Thanks for a good read M Heday ...and keep doing all the great blogs. Cheers.

11/03/2005 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View mazyar hedayat's LinkedIn profileView mazyar hedayat's profile